Wednesday, April 4, 2012 | By: The Girl Next Door

Little Miss Homemaker

Prior to resigning from my full time position at the pediatric clinic I currently work PRN shifts for I worked 40 hours a week, was a full-time graduate student in the family nurse practitioner program, and the maid/cook/newly-wed to DrH who works 50+ hours a week and every other Saturday.

I resigned because I realized there were not enough hours in the day to
0600 - Wake up
0615 - Shower
0645 - Ready for work
0700-coffee in a to-go container
0715 - in the car headed to work
0755 - arrive at work
0800 - checking open orders, preparing for the patent daily schedule (attempting to find any possible way to make my doctor and my day any easier!)
0815 - work day begins full force (most day some days its earlier)
0815-1155 - run like a chicken with your head cut off, triage patients, give 10230928 shots, answer/make 1209 phone calls and referrals, 234089 medicaid referrals filled out/faxed/appointments made.
1200-1300 - lunch, scarfed down in attempt to make time to study.
1300-1315 - back from lunch 15 minutes early to make sure I am prepared for afternoon patient load.
1315 - 1655 - refer to 0815 and repeat (add DrH text messages asking whats for dinner x2 - as if i have time to stop and think about whats for dinner)
1700 - check with doctor to make sure nothing else needs to be addressed. (if doctor is on call doc that day - list continues until 1730.
1730-1830 - drag myself to the car and make the 45 minute drive home
1915-1930 arrive home (includes picking up the dog from daycare)
 1930-2030 - scramble around the house trying to decide what to cook for dinner, prep something for dinner, wipe down counter from husbands attempt to prepare himself some sort of breakfast before running out the door, load or unload the dishwasher, husband arrives home (takes scrub top off and lays it in the kitchen, sits in chair and takes off shoes and socks and lies them on the floor asking whats for dinner).
2030-2100 - make myself and DrH plates, eat, watch a few minutes of tv while eating.
2100-2130 - clean up dinner dishes, container leftovers, load dishwasher, wipe down counters, sweep.
2130-2230 - attempt to study or complete any due assignments.
2230 - kiss DrH on the cheek and retire to bed (unable to hold eyes open any longer)

repeat this x5 days Mon-Fri

Saturday - Sunday
0900 - DrH is up and watching tv or preparing to "work in the yard"
0915 - make myself coffee and wonder why every muscle in my body seems achy while wiping down counters after DrH and loading/unloading dishwasher.
1000 - check courses for any emails messages
1030 1200 - work on any assignments (continual interruptions by DrH - he's missing his nurse apparently)
1200 - DrH "whats for lunch" try to work on assignments while worrying about what to cook for lunch
1200-1300 - lunch prepared and eaten
1300-1600- attempt to study/work on assignments (continual interruptions by Dr.H - he's still missing his nurse) do at least 1 load of laundry, sweet the kitchen/living room, and DrH "whats for dinner"
1600-1800 - fold laundry, return phone calls, return text messages that iv missed all day and attempt to decide what to and cook dinner (or wave the white flag and suggest dinner out)

Dinner out = DrH "where do you want to go" Me "i dont know where do you want to go" DrH "not it you decide" this happens for at least 30 minutes before i give in and pick something.

Sunday - repeat saturday however include all remaining laundry, sheets/bedding, mopping, bathrooms, vaccuming, dusting and a mandatory Sunday Graduate Assignment that could take anywhere from 1hr-3hrs to complete!

DrH was still sure he worked harder than me. Apparently, because you make more money you work harder.

Prior to getting married this week repeated itself however it included planning a wedding with an extended guest list in a town I was unfamiliar with, cleaning/laundry for DrH home and my home. Was diagnosed with Left Sided Heart/Diastolic Heart Failure (r/t chemotherapy/BMT), Hypothyroidism (r/t to radiation), and Menopause (yes, at 28yrs old - r/t chemotherapy/BMT) - so, factoring in the necessary doctors appointments and new medications - I was pushing over the edge.

I definitely needed to make the decision to resign as I had burnt out at both ends!

Now, apparently because I am no longer working 40 hours a week I am suppose to allieviate DrH of all duties other than going to and coming home from work. Naturally, "working in the yard" is his duty bc its his hobby, but you've got to be kidding me right?? I resigned from full time work to reach SANITY and DrH wants to add 40+ hours of his duties onto my lap. Am I the only one who thinks this is WRONG!?!? DrH constantly reminds me of what he endured through residency to get where he is, but apparently he has forgotten how intense the studies prior to it were!

My rant for the day. I better get back to deciding "what is going to be for dinner".


0 comments:

Post a Comment