Tuesday, April 3, 2012 | By: The Girl Next Door

Vroom Vroom

A couple of weeks ago my husband made the comment that he though he needed to purchase a car that he could drive daily back and forth to work and that would get better gas mileage than his current large diesel truck. I was thinking less than $10,000 dollars (naturally, right?) Well, he started researching all these different cars, and suddenly every car he was showing me looked like it belonged on the fast-and-furious and should have been painted in a lime green color.  Hatchbacks, really!??! BLAH!
So, now that everyone knows how I feel about these cars (smirk) I will say that it is HIS car.  Well, now I am going to be obliged to drive this car if for some reason my (8 year old SUV takes a crap) until it can be fixed.

Last night he comes to me with a Mazda 3 hatchback, and suddenly we have gone from a USED car to a NEW car. We have gone from that $10,000 dollar purchase to now a $24,000 dollar car!! Wow, am I crazy or is it the double X Chromosome that makes me worry about big money purchases. Yes, my husband has worked very hard and sacrificed to get to where we are today and should be able to purchase a second car if he would like; however, I am a little sketchy about this. Maybe because about the same time he mentioned this get-around-car we also discussed that my SUV (8 years 150k miles and counting) has seen better days and is ready to go to that car-home in the sky, we are constantly fixing things on it and it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage. It did its job, it got me through college & endless trips back and forth for cancer treatments and even my first year 1/2 of the "big-girl" career. We looked at Hyundai's and Mercedes; however, I am naturally drawn to the large sedans as I swore when I made the jump from a Mustang Convertible to an SUV I would never go back, and now that I am going back I can't bear the thought of being "squished" like the nutty-professor gone wrong in a little bitty car. I have also tried to consider the future and children and a car that would be large enough to get a car-seat in and out of, that would be safe for a child, and that my family would be comfortable commuting 8 hours round-trip every weekend during football season.

I suppose I am going to actually have to give in and test drive both. Oh well, hopefully I'll be posting a photo of a new car (or 2 cars) soon! Wish us luck :)

2012 Mercedes E class

 
 
VS 
 
2012 Hyundai Equus

0 comments:

Post a Comment