Friday, March 30, 2012 | By: The Girl Next Door

I am almost 100% sure that this will be me tomorrow when I have to come to terms with the fact that I indeed did not win the $640 million dollar Mega Millions Lottery and instead am $50.00 poorer as a result of optimism. 


 Majority of my Facebook friends have been posting their "winning" tickets on facebook and updating their status with chatter about how they'd spend the money. Funny, I can honestly say I have NO idea how I would spend it other than to pay it forward as much as possible. Let's think about this after taxes you'd be looking at approximately 200ish million dollars, I mean if we're being realistic here "and we're not since I am delusional and think I stand a chance of winning" no one could spend that much money in their lifetime without just GIVING it away.  Although I am unsure of how I would spend it I am sure that I would NEVER know a person in need.


I must admit that I did meet a very sweet lady standing in line (that wrapped around the store and out the door to the parking lot). She was elderly, retired elementary school teacher, and artist. She told me about how she lost her husband several years ago and chose to retire soon after, how she had traveled to Scotland, and how she now paints canvas rugs for homes as a hobby. She had $20 dollars to buy her lottery tickets, and we chuckled together as neither one of us really knew how all the lottery business worked, how to pick the numbers, or really which tickets to ask for. I mentioned that I had once been to Ireland & Scotland which sparked further conversation about my career while in nursing school. She was one of those rare souls, so sincere, so sweet, and just plain genuine. If I were to win I'd definitely make it my mission to find her - she'd my first "pay it forward".

0 comments:

Post a Comment